New England Clam Chowder
4 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 ribs of celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour, or 6 saltine crackers crushed
Salt & Pepper
2 cups clam juice
½ cup water
3 bay leaves
Clams, as many as you want
2 large potatoes, cubed
2 cups milk, warmed
- In a large pot cook bacon until crisp, remove and set aside.
- Discard all but 2 Tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Add butter, celery, onion, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Season with Salt & pepper.
- Sprinkle flour over veggies, cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour in clam juice and water.
- Add potatoes and bay leaves, bring to boil.
- Lower heat to medium, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain clams, add to chowder and simmer 4 minutes.
- Add warm milk to chowder, heat for 5 minutes.