Coconut & Raspberry Cake
2 pints fresh raspberries
3 tablespoons Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 ½ cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup coconut water
6 large egg whites
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Filling, add ingredients into a medium pot, bring to boil, cook 5 mins.
- Cake,preheat oven to 350, grease and flour 3 (8inch) cake pans.
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In mixer, beat egg whites and ¼ of sugar form stiff peaks. Place into a small bowl.
- In mixer, beat 1 ¼ cups sugar, oil, butter, and vanilla until fluffy. Add coconut water; beat at low speed 1 minute or until combined. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed 1 minute or until well combined.
- Slowly fold in egg white peaks.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 19 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
To prepare frosting,In mixer beat 3 egg whites and cream of tartar until medium peaks form. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 250°. With mixer on low speed, pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream down the side of mixing bowl. Gradually increase speed to high; beat 3 minutes or until thick and cool.
- To assemble cake, place 1 cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of filling (about 1 cup), leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with another cake layer, and spread with remaining filling, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Gently press coconut flakes into sides of cake