Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
For the Topping
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
For the Cake
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut on a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon orange zest plus 1 Tablespoon fresh orange juice
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the topping: Stir together butter, flour, sugar, until moist and crumbly.Set aside.
- Make the cake: Butter a round cake pan.Dot with 4 tablespoons butter (cut into pieces). Toss rhubarb with 3/4 cup sugar; let stand for 2 minutes. Toss again, and spread in pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixer, Beat remaining stick butter and 1 cup sugar
- Beat in zest and juice.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with sour cream, until smooth. Spread evenly over rhubarb. Crumble topping evenly over batter.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake, and invert onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.