Feijoada-Brazilian Black Bean Stew
1 cup Dried Black Beans (soak overnight)
1 cup Dried Red Beans (soak overnight)
¼ cup oil
4 ribs celery
1 green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon oregano
2 Bay leaves
2 teaspoons chili powder
4 cups stock
- Boil the ham bone in a large pot, 1-2 hours.
- Pour the broth into a measuring cup, set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper, sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and seasonings, cook 3 minutes.
- Chop tomato, stir into soup.
- Add the beans, and the stock.
- Leave on medium boil for 1- 2 hours.
Add more stock ( or chicken stock or water ) as needed.