- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 330 F. Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well.
- In a separate bowl, melt the butter, stir in vanilla and milk.
- Pour dry into wet and mix again.
- Form balls.
- For true snickerdoodles, roll each ball in a mix of cinnamon and sugar (either equal parts OR two parts sugar to one part cinnamon).
- If you want soft cookies, you’ll need to get the balls very cold. (So roll the balls, cover in the cinnamon-sugar, then fridge until cold.)
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. They’ll look way underdone when you take them out, but that’s perfect.